South Dakota Dicamba Use on Soybeans
EPA's Recently Announced Changes to Dicamba Label 2020
On October 27, 2020, USEPA issued new registrations for XtendiMax and Engenia, two dicamba products whose labels were cancelled last July 31, 2020. The Agency also extended the registration for Tavium; therefore, all these labels now expire in 2025. No news on the registration for FeXapan yet, but registration for this product would be possible since the XtendiMax registration has been approved. Corteva will likely provide more information on the status of FeXapan.
Bayer has a website with a map of the US showing the states that have adopted the Xtendimax labels and the states that are pending approval. It stands to reason that once states approve Xtendimax, they will approve Engenia at the same time.
The main, new points in the product registrations and labels are outlined below, and also explained in the USEPA press release.
- Requiring an approved pH-buffering agent (also called a Volatility Reduction Agent or VRA) be tank mixed with OTT dicamba products prior to all applications to control volatility.
- Requiring a downwind buffer of 240 feet to protect sensitive areas, and 310 feet in areas where listed species are located.
- Prohibiting OTT application of dicamba on soybeans after June 30 and cotton after July 30. (The cutoff date in South Dakota in 2020 was June 30, 45 days after planting, or R1).
- The ability to use hooded sprayers to reduce the downwind buffer to 110 feet.
- Simplifying the label and use directions so that growers can more easily determine when and how to properly apply dicamba.
Dicamba-specific training will AGAIN be required for anyone applying dicamba in 2021.
2019 Dicamba Precautions - UI Purdue OSU
FeXapan Recordkeeping Form - DuPont
XtendiMax App Fact Sheet - Monsanto
Guide for Keeping Weather Records - NDSU Extension Service
Inversion Guidance 2017 - NDSU Extension Service
MPH and PSI Application Guide-20 inch Nozzle Spacing - Prepared by:Robert E Wolf, November 2017
IFCA Dicamba Best Management Practices-November 2017
Engenia RUP Application Record Keeping and Training Requirements Form
Learn More about Xtendimax
Learn More about Engenia
Learn More about FeXapan
For training opportunities in-person, live webinars, and on-line:
- Bayer Stewardship and Training Opportunities
- BASF Stewardship and Training Opportunities
- Corteva Stewardship and Training Opportunities
- Syngenta Stewardship and Training Opportunities: As an alternative option to online specific training, Syngenta is pleased to announce a convenient live dicamba training webinar. The webinar is designed to meet the US EPA requirement for mandatory annual dicamba training that is required or Tavium Plus VaporGrip Technology, XtendiMax With VaporGrip Technoloyg and Engenia. Training is reciprocal across brands, meaning an applicator only needs to take 1 dicamba specific training each year. Applicators may register here for the live webinar, held February 4, 2021.
Other Dicamba Training
Check with your supplier for other dates and locations.